Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 2 EOC: Boston Consulting Group-Video Games


The video game industry has not had a good start this year. THQ has been a recent failure among gaming publishers, and Walt Disney shut down the developer of “Epic Mickey” video games. “Some hope might lie with the coming launch of new gaming systems. The next Xbox and PlayStation 4 are both still officially unannounced, but widely expected to be on store shelves this holiday season.” http://www.cnbc.com/id/100427718
I personally think of Playstation as the Star. Playstation 4 is already being rumored to release sooner than the new Xbox, according to this statement: “VG247 has been told that Sony is aiming to release PlayStation 4 before Xbox 720 next Christmas, and that certain developers have been invited to reveal meetings in the US in May and June” http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/playstation-4-sony-confident-of-pre-xbox-720-release/ Sony believes they have the jump on Xbox this time. I think Playstation is the single most popular console. I bought my PS3 about a year ago on a black Friday sale, and it’s still brand new to me; yet my boyfriend is already talking about buying the PS4. Playstation is still growing rapidly in my opinion. I also think Xbox is among the stars, not my personal favorite, but popular nonetheless.
            Nintendo Wii is definitely the question mark. I don’t see how it possibly makes any money. No one I know, including myself likes Nintendo Wii, yet they supposedly did very well at first. It is believed that some of it’s failure is due to poor marketing, “Because, to be honest, not many people know about the dual-screened Wii U console, despite the fact that it was announced at E3 last year. Again, Nintendo marketing hasn’t really been killing it.” http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/25/nintendo-amazingly-gets-worse-at-marketing-just-in-time-for-plummeting-wii-u-sales/ I never even knew there was a new Wii console. I don’t think I’ve seen a single commercial or advertisement on it; that or I’m simply not interested enough to pay attention.
            Lastly, I think mobile device and tablet game apps are the dogs. There are probably billions of games available in the app store, and everyone I know has them on their phones. However, does anyone really spend any money on them? What’s the point of paying for a game, when there is usually a free version? I get bored of my games rather quickly, I’ll play them constantly, if they’re good, and then I never want to see it again. The life expectancy of a game app on my phone is about two weeks.
            In the long run, I think Playstation and Xbox will always be the stars. All I need is one really good game, and I’ll buy however many of them are made. Resident Evil, for example, has made many games over the years, which I have been playing for about ten years; and I still get excited when they release new ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment